Pilot Onboarding Training
The following onboarding process was developed to bring new pilots into CAP in a standardized, convenient and effective manner. To start the onboarding process new powered pilots must first complete Level 1 Professional Development and General Emergency Services coursework. New pilots whose only intent is to fly gliders or only serve as Instructor Pilots for cadet flight training need only complete Level 1 Professional Development. This onboarding process is voluntary throughout the Rocky Mountain Region.
- Complete all modules, tasks, homework assignments and exams identified in your training plan and given to you by your Instructor Pilot/Mentor.
- Watch all assigned videos and use slides, as necessary, to complete assignments.
- Once you start this process, plan to make steady progress until you complete your CAPF 70-5 Check Ride.
- Complete the Check Ride Readiness Checklist with your Instructor Pilot prior to scheduling a Check Ride with a Check Pilot.
Instructor Pilots/Mentors/Check Pilots:
- Plan to meet with your onboarding pilot early in the onboarding process to establish a training plan.
- Create the training plan from the New Pilot Experience Survey,
- You may use the training plan template below, the Training Plan Worksheet in CAPP 70-12 or a template of your own,
- Tailor the plan to fit the onboarding pilot's desires, skills and experiences,
- Get DOV approval for your plan, if required,
- Brief the plan to the onboarding pilot to ensure they understand the process, possible timeline, and what they are responsible to accomplish,
- Use your plan as a guide throughout the onboarding process.
- Monitor progress throughout the onboarding process, evaluate homework assignments, grades exams, complete endorsements in a timely manner.
- Plan a meeting with your onboarding pilot just prior to the first flight to ensure all required training, uploads and validations are complete (preflight checklist).
- Use available instructor materials identified below.
- Plan to meet again prior to referring the onboarding pilot to a Check Pilot to make sure all documentation is complete (Check Ride Readiness Checklist).
- Check Pilots: Complete and provide the Expectations Document to the onboarding pilot prior to the check ride.
Onboarding Training Modules (In work)
- Module 1 - Onboarding Overview: Video Slides Homework Instructor Training Plan
- Module 2 - eServices and Ops Quals: Video Slides Homework
- Module 3 - WMIRS: Video Slides
- Module 4 - Publications: Video Slides Test/Homework
- Module 5 - G1000 Transition Training:
- Module 6 - Electronic Stability and Protection Instructor Syllabus
- Module 7 - High Performance Aircraft Training: Video Slides Test
- Module 8 - Turbocharged Aircraft Training: Video Slides Test
- Module 9 - Mountain Flying Training
- Module 10 - Cadet Orientation Flights: Slides Homework
- Module 11 - Miscellaneous Topics
- Module 12 - Flight Preparation: Video Checklist
- Module 13 - Check Ride Preparation: Video Checklist Instructor Expectations
- Module 14 - Post Check Ride Tasks: Video Slides Homework
- Module 15 - What's Next: Slides